Friday, February 15, 2008

The Ocean

Today marks the first day of reading week at my college. As I left class yesterday various people were in discussion about where they would be headed off to; the beaches of Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic. The ski hills of Northern Ontario, Montreal, and Vancouver. Some people, including myself, were staying home to catch up on life and soak up the rest this week will provide. In celebration of my lack of travels I thought I would share my ideal place to be.

My favorite place to be is near an ocean. It seems odd since I am not much for swimming or even most water sports. However, looking out at the vast body of water is awe inspiring. I feel like anything in the world is possible, like there are no walls or boundaries to stop anything from happening. I like to think that when I am looking out at the horizon, someone else on the opposite side is doing the same. We can't see each other, but in that moment we are sharing something truly magical.

The sound of the waves as they crash the beach, the smell of salt in the air, the sun beating down; it all warms my soul. I feel free, like my mind is limitless. When I breath I feel fresh and exhilarated. I let my feet sink into the wet sand and squeeze up between my toes. I let the water sweep up into me and I listen to the sounds of the birds chirping. It is all so beautiful. There is no other place where I feel this way.

If I could live on the ocean I would. To wake up to his feeling everyday would be my own piece of heaven. To sit on my deck with a fresh glass of orange juice and the daily paper, before the chaos of the day begins, and soak up this feeling would be nothing but inspiration. That would be my sweet spot. That would be home.

I think about it constantly; when will I get back? How long will I be able to stay? Who will I be with? I live for that moment. I wait for that moment. I live my life everyday to the fullest I can and I enjoy every second of it. Those moments though I feel transcended by. I escape to a place that is beyond the physical and exists in a place that is beyond explanation.

Where is your sweet spot?

No comments: